Friday, January 7, 2011

Going Back To School

Cute Back to School Graphic with Crayons
Cute Back to School Graphic with Crayons - Images - Pictures

Well, it's that time of the year again, back to school. Usually for an almost 30 something mother of two that means kids are going back to school. Well, for my family that means that my kids and I are all going back to school. You see, I never finished college. I started college when I was just graduated from High School. I was not even 18. I did one full time semester and then I moved to Florida. I figured I'd work (to pay the bills) and then I'd get myself married and have babies. I didn't imagine that I would need a college degree nor did I particularly want one. I had dreams of becoming a famous chef or even a lawyer. I just didn't do anything about those dreams thinking they were silly little ideas in my head. 


Now I will be 30 in a few months. I've been married for 10 years. Almost 6 years ago I became a mom. Through the last 12 years I have been in school at least part time on and off trying to finish my degree. Its a shame really, I didn't know the value of College. I wasn't pushed or encouraged to go by my parents. My Grandfather tried to talk some sense into me but I just knew I was going to be a housewife and I wouldn't need a degree. Boy was I young and filled with dreams of a reality that rarely exists for ANYONE. The truth is, even if I didn't want to be in the work force, college would have been very beneficial to me. Schooling is about so much more than academics. It's about community and learning about the differences in people. It's about expanding your mind and challenging yourself to become a better person.


I know that college isn't for everyone. There are a special few that get by in life just great without it. For me, it's what I was meant to do. I've known for many years now that I wanted to be a teacher. I want to make a difference in the world. I know that as a teacher I can help children and encourage them to reach their potential. I am excited to be at a point in my education that I will be working hands on with kids and I can see the finish line! 5 semesters of full-time work. It will be extreme. It will be hard. It will challenge me. But when it's done, I'll have achieved something I am incredibly proud of. I will be able to get a job doing what I was meant to do. I'll have a "career"! I'm super excited to be in the final phase of this chapter of my life. I sincerely look forward to the day that I switch from the role of student to the role of teacher.


In the mean time, I will probably write a bit about the experience. More for me than any reader that might happen along to my blog. This isn't about adoption, but it's my life and I am sure that there will be memories and tips that I have along the way that will be worth writing about. Part of the whole experience is sharing how I do it with two small kids and a husband who also needs my attention. I will be posting about recipes and meal plans to simplify my life over at my other blog: www.potsnplans.blogspot.com
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...